Remember the tragic story of the two little boys strangled by a serpent? Well, more details have emerged. I still get goose bumps reading this.
MANDY TRECARTIN VIA FACEBOOK
Connor and Noah Barth are seen here mopping out a massive glass enclosure that held some large reptiles at Jean-Claude Savoie‘s store.
The two young Canadian brothers strangled by a 100-pound python in their sleep were no strangers to dangerous reptiles.
Noah Barthe, 4, and his 6-year-old brother, Connor Barthe, were pictured scrubbing a massive glass enclosure inside the Campbellton, New Brunswick, pet store owned by their friend’s father — who found the boys dead after the 14-foot snake slithered into the room where the pair was sleeping.
The killer serpent was euthanized Tuesday.
The boys were spending Sunday night at Jean-Claude Savoie’s apartment, which is just above his Reptile Ocean pet store, when they were killed by the African rock python, authorities said Tuesday.
Connor and Noah Barthe, ages 6 and 4 respectively, were strangled in their sleep by a python that slithered out of its enclosure at their friend’s home.
Investigators initially suspected the massive serpent broke free from a tank inside the exotic pet store, but Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt. Alain Tremblay said Wednesday that the snake was being kept inside the apartment when it broke loose.
Once it escaped from its enclosure, the snake slithered through a ventilation duct before it fell through a hole in the ceiling above where the boys were sleeping.
A snake expert told the Associated Press that the rogue python was likely spooked by the fall and clung to the sleeping children when it landed.
Savoie, who is best friends with the children’s father, found the bodies early Monday morning.
MANDY TRECARTIN VIA FACEBOOK
Connor and Noah Barth (third boy at the bottom unknown) are seen cleaning the enclosure that held some large reptiles at Jean-Claude Savoie’s store.
“My body is in shock,” he told Canada’s Global News after the authorities were called to his home. “I don’t know what to think. … I feel like they’re my kids.”
Savoie told the station that he thought the kids were sleeping until he saw a hole in the ceiling.
“I turned the lights on, and I (saw) this horrific scene.”
Savoie caged the python before authorities arrived a short time later.
The young brothers were strangled by a python while they slept in an apartment above the Reptile Ocean pet store, which is owned by their friend’s father. The snake got into the ventilation and fell through the ceiling above the boys’ room.
Investigators were waiting on the Barthe brothers’ autopsy results before commenting any further on Wednesday. A necropsy on the snake was also scheduled to be performed.
Steve Benteau, spokesman for the provincial Natural Resources Department, said the agency hadn’t issued a permit for the python.
Police also contacted Bry Loyst, a curator of the Indian River Reptile Zoo in Ontario who said investigators told him that it wasn’t the first time the python broke free from its cage, the AP reported.
An African Rock Python (Python sebae) like this one was euthanized after authorities said it strangled two young brothers in their pal’s Canadian home.
Loyst suggested that the snake may have been attracted to the boys because they carried the scent of other animals that they had played with at the pet store.
Another expert, Paul Goulet — founder and co-owner of Little Ray’s Reptile Zoo in Ottawa — agreed that the snake was likely attracted to another smell when it attacked.
“If a snake sees an animal moving, giving off heat and smells like a goat, what is it? It’s a goat,” Goulet told the AP.
The boys’ great uncle, Dave Rose, confirmed that the brothers were playing with llamas, goats, horses and dogs at Savoie’s farm before they spent the night.
With News Wire Services