The first time I heard of a similar incident was some years ago on the Oprah Winfrey show when a woman who was supposed to have dropped her baby off at the day care centre, drove to work with the baby in the back seat instead and ended up leaving the child there through her work shift. The baby suffocated to death and the mother’s excuse after she recovered form the shock was that she forgot.
Sadly this appears to be becoming a leading cause of child mortality in the West. Much is to be said for the typical family support system most Nigerians take for granted which is usually provided by the extended family which is sorely lacking in more developed societies as can be seen with yet another story of a similar tragic nature.
There is a certain degree of “minding one’s business” that has been promoted in western cultures that virtually leaves everyman standing alone. I have never heard of something so tragic happening in Nigeria except it such stories generally go unreported. Even if the parent does forget, someone will notice the baby or hear its cries. We just have not attained that level of minding our business where even a babies cries of distress go completely unnoticed (this baby MUST have cried at some point).
How this will affect the man’s relationship with his wife, kids and even other members of his immediate community remains to be seen.
Restaurant chef Andrea Albanese, 39, drove to work in Piacenza, forgetting to drop his son, Luca, at day care. It wasn’t until 5 p.m. that the child’s absence was noted.
BY LEE MORAN / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
An Italian toddler died from being locked in a baking hot car for eight hours after his dad went to work and forgot he was there, police said.
Luca Albanese, who was just 2 years old, was abandoned in the sweltering vehicle in the northern town of Piacenza on Tuesday.
His dad, Andrea, 39, claims he forgot to drop his son at nursery school — instead driving straight to the restaurant where he works as a chef at 8 a.m.
He then allegedly left the young boy in the car — with temperatures said to have it 140 degrees — for his entire shift.
The alarm was only raised at 5 p.m. when the boy’s grandfather went to pick him up from nursery and realized he wasn’t there.
His lifeless body was found in the car.
Investigators think he died of suffocation, reports Corrierre Della Sera.
The father is under formal investigation for manslaughter. Both he and his wife were hospitalized with shock.
An autopsy will be carried out later this week to establish the cause of death.
Culled from nydailynews.com