Apparently the young girls who fell prey to a gang rapists in Oxford are to blame for their plight. The mother of two of the rapists was quick to shift blame when she was invited for questioning about the matter, blaming everyone AND the rain! Obviously she sees nothing wrong with her sons’ conduct preferring instead to lament about the shame of being named in such a scandal. I wonder if she would have adopted the same stand had it been her daughters on the receiving end of the rapes.
- Mother of brothers Akhtar and Anjum Dogar speaks of her shame
- But she says one victim was ‘looking for a boy’ and ‘no one pressurised her’
- ‘Nobody can feel sorry for them unless they’re sorry themselves,’ she says
- Seven men found guilty last week of offences including conspiracy to rape, child prostitution and trafficking
By JAMES RUSH
The mother of two brothers who formed part of the Oxford sex grooming gang has blamed her sons’ victims for the abuse they suffered.
A group of seven men were found guilty at the Old Bailey last week of a catalogue of offences, against girls as young as 11, including conspiracy to rape, child prostitution and trafficking over an eight-year period in the university city of Oxford.
Schoolgirls were plucked from the streets and care homes to be drugged, raped and sold into prostitution.
But the mother of two members of the gang, brothers Akhtar Dogar, 32, ad Anjum Dogar, 31, has claimed one of the victims was not ‘pressurised’.
She also asked why the authorities allowed the abuse to take place and spoke of her shame at being associated with the case, according to the Daily Star Sunday.
Akhtar and Anjum were convicted at the Old Bailey last week along with another set of brothers Mohammed Karrar, 38, and Bassam Karrar, 33, as well as Kamar Jamil, 27, Assad Hussain, 32, and Zeeshan Ahmed, 27.
Speaking at her home in Oxford, the mother of the Dogar brothers said: ‘These girls should be playing with toys. If they start (having sex) at ten, by 15 they are proper ladies.’
She described how news reports suggested the girls travelled from Oxford to London on the train and suggested they were therefore ‘old enough’.
She said one of the girls was ‘looking’ for a boy at a London station, adding ‘no one pressurised her’.
She said: ‘Nobody can feel sorry for them unless they’re sorry themselves.’
Some victims relived their ordeals during the four-month trial, describing how they were groomed, beaten, betrayed and sold into prostitution around the country.
One girl told the court how she was told she would be shot if she did not have sex with men when she was 14.
Predators would wait for her near her children’s home and she would be driven to various places where she would be plied with drink and drugs in order to be raped or sold to other men.
She said Akhtar Dogar threatened her when she refused to perform a sex act, telling jurors: ‘He said if I didn’t do what I was told he knew someone who would shoot me.’
The men, five of Pakistani origin and two North African brothers, were convicted of 23 rapes, 15 charges of rape conspiracy and nine of child prostitution, as well as other offences including trafficking the girls for sexual exploitation and having sex with a child.
Five of the six girls were abused while in the care of Oxfordshire County Council’s social services department.
Police and social workers knew in 2005 that the Oxford girls were being preyed on by the gang, but did little to stop the nightmare unfolding before they started to investigate in 2010.
Police and social services have now apologised to the gang’s victims for failing to rescue them
Fighting broke out in the dock at the Old Bailey after two other defendants – Mohammed Hussain, 25, and a man who cannot be named for legal reasons – were cleared. Zeeshan Ahmed struck out at Mohammed Hussain before being bundled out of the dock by officers.
Culled from dailymail.co.uk